What Insurance Do I Need To Rent With OpenAirplane?

Pilots who rent with OpenAirplane need valid renter's insurance. (What the aviation insurance folks call a non-owned policy.)

The minimum level of coverage we require is:

  • $1,000 or more, for Physical Damage to the aircraft.
  • $250,000 or more Liability Coverage per occurrence.
  • $25,000 or more Liability Coverage for each passenger.

The good news is, most non-owned policies sold in the U.S. meet these minimums.

Note, these are minimum required levels of coverage. How much insurance you should carry to be able to sleep at night, is between you and your insurance agent. (... and for that matter, probably your spouse if you're like me.)

When you sign up, you'll need to input the following information:

  • Insurance Carrier
  • Insurance Policy Number
  • Effective Date
  • Expiration Date

The best place to find this is on the binder letter you received as soon as your insurance policy took effect, (Most brokers can email you this within 24 hours of receiving payment of your insurance premium.) or the declarations page of your actual policy.

Some insurance carriers offer mobile apps which give you the ability to share your policy information with us via email. That's great, you can send it to crew@OpenAirplane.com when you sign up and we'll verify your information that way.

PRO TIP: Print a copy of your binder or your declarations page and bring that with you when you fly the Universal Pilot Checkout. 


Please sign in to leave a comment.